Wednesday 23 January 2013

Helsinki part 2

I know, I've been terribly slow in telling you about the rest of my Helsinki yarn shopping, but this last weekend in the snow, I managed to spend a little time spinning and finished off the single ply that I was making from some gorgeous Finn wool fibre from the very clever Nea at Lanitium Ex Machina . I had looked her up before my trip and whilst she doesn't have a bricks and mortar shop, she very kindly invited me to come to her home and have a root around in all her gorgeously dyed fibres.

This is the yarn resulting from the first top I've tried:




And here are the tops I still have to play with, the sexy Sarcasm (grey and lime) in Merino for me, and the beautiful Polwarth Fragment that my mother picked out for me to spin for her and which several people have already tried to steal from my house, saying it reminds them of Northern Lights.









One of the first results that come up if you search for yarn shops in Helsinki is Menita . The website doesn't tell you very much, but several other blogs refer to it as the "main" shop to visit and in terms of a proper yarn shop, it certainly is. They have a great big range of commercial yarns including Rowan, Istex Lopi, Drops and many many more, along with the great wall of Finnish produced yarns, which was the most exciting part for me.

This was a colour choice clearly influenced by Marimekko (100% Wool):









This is a rather lovely lace weight in wool and silk with the addition of jojoba oil, aloe vera and vitamin e. I'm not sure what that does for the yarn, but it sounds nice :) I picked up a few of these for christmas presents as well:









And finally, I got swayed by a snazzy sock yarn colour way:

1 comment:

  1. I said it reminded me of Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis), already in the shop in Helsinki! Tell your (dear) friends to keep their hands off it!
    Love, your mother

    ReplyDelete